Storytime → Camping


Introduction

Activity: finding nametags - I did this during my spring session as well, and I like it because it allows everyone to get to know one another and lets the kids get used to seeing their printed names. It becomes a little game at the beginning for everyone to settle in and find their name and learn their letters at the same time.

Opening Songs

Hands Go Up! (x2)
Open Them, Shut Them (x2)

The Books


Book 1: Scare a bear / Kathy-jo Wargin
Book 2: Maisy goes camping / Lucy Cousins

Extension Activities

Song: Bingo! [from childhood]
There was a farmer, had a dog,
And Bingo was his name-o.
B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O! B-I-N-G-O!
And Bingo was his name-o.

Action: Stretching [from: Storytime Katie]
When I reach up, I feel so tall,
When I bend down, I feel so small,
Taller, taller, taller, taller.
Smaller, smaller, smaller, smaller,
Into a tiny ball.

Flannelboard: Popcorn [from Mel's Desk, via Storytime Katie, with my flannels]
Five little kernels, sizzling in a pot,
All of a sudden, one went pop!
    ... four little kernels, etc.

Rhyme: Itsy Bitsy Spider [from childhood]

Action Rhyme: Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear [from Storytime Katie]
Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the ground.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, reach up high,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the sky.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, find your nose,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch your toes.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, find your knees,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, sit down please!

Song: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star [from childhood]

Craft

Construction paper campfire. For the templates, I downloaded a basic flame outline (I used this one here) and then used a simple circle for the moon and rectangles for the fire logs.

Goodbye Song

The More We Get Together (x2)

How'd it Go?

It didn't. As with last week, the summer session of toddler storytime was cancelled - and I had such good ideas for the summer session! I'm definitely going to hang on to this theme, though, for future use.

No comments:

Post a Comment