Toddler Storytime: Sweets & Treats

This is the last week of toddler storytime for the spring season, though I'll be right back at it for the summer session in July and August. And seeing as how last week we covered good-for-you fruits and vegetables, this week I decided to do a theme on desserts for a celebration of the end of the season. This was a little more difficult to plan initially, mainly because my original theme was just ice cream but I couldn't find many toddler-appropriate books for the plan. And so it expanded to cover desserts, sweets, and treats in general - which is probably all for the better.

Introduction

Activity: finding nametags - this is an activity I do at the beginning of each toddler session (except for the first one, in which the craft is to make the nametags). I like this because it encourages a development of print recognition and allows for the group to get to know everyone over the course of a session.

Opening Songs:
Hands go Up! (x2)
Hands go up,
Hands go down,
I can turn around and round.
I can hop upon two shoes,
I can listen, so can you!
I can sit, I'll show you how,
Storytime is starting now.

Open Them, Shut Them (x2)
Open them, shut them,
Open them, shut them,
Give a little clap!
Open them, shut them,
Open them, shut them,
Put them in your lap.
Creep them, crawl them,
Creep them, crawl them,
Right up to your chin,
Open up your little mouth,
But do not let them in.

The Books

Book 1: The cow loves cookies / Karma Wilson ; Book 2: The very hungry caterpillar / Eric Carle

Extension Activities

Song: Oh What a Rain that would Be! [from childhood - I remember seeing this on an episode of Barney once]
If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gum drops,
Oh what a rain that would be!
Standing outside with my mouth open wide,
Ah-ahh-ahh-ahh-ah-ahh-ahh-ah.
If all the raindrops were lemon drops and gumdrops,
Oh what a rain that would be.
[continue with] ... sun beams were bubble gum and ice cream

Fingerplay: Two Little Blackbirds
Two little blackbirds sitting on a hill,
One named Jack, the other named Jill.
Fly away Jack, fly away Jill.
Come back Jack, come back Jill.

Action: Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear
Teddy bear, teddy bear, turn around.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the ground.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, reach up high,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch the sky.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, find your nose,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, touch your toes.
Teddy bear, teddy bear, find your knees,
Teddy bear, teddy bear, sit down please!

Action: Stretching [from Storytime Katie]
When I reach up, I feel so tall.
When I bend down, I feel so small.
Taller, taller, taller, taller.
Smaller, smaller, smaller, smaller.
Into a tiny ball.

Song: If You're Happy and You Know It [from childhood]

Craft

Building an ice cream sundae - we used a simple trapezoid shape for the dish, and everyone got three 'scoops' of ice cream and a cherry. I think the kids really loved the idea of using tissue paper for the sprinkles, though they were a little bit tougher to glue down compared to the construction paper.


Goodbye Song

The More We Get Together (x2)

How'd It Go?

I think it went really well - the kids were active today and really like the Stretching action rhyme and Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear. This was the last session for a few weeks, and I think a lot of the toddlers will be moving up to our preschool sessions, so I'm hoping for new faces in my July session!

No comments:

Post a Comment