10-Second Reviews


It's that time again - time for another round of 10-second reviews for a look at what I've been reading lately. With Summer Reading programs upon us all over the land (for children and adults, alike) I've really ramped up my intake and absorption of the written word. These titles are just a snippet of what I've read lately - for the full list, check out my quarterly reports (with a new one coming up at the beginning of July). And, if you'd like to read past 10-second reviews, check those out here.

Biggest flirts / Jennifer Echols
This is a YA title that came recommended via an author I follow on Twitter. Biggest Flirts tell the story of Tia and new-kid-at-school Will, who suddenly find themselves all tied in knots and flipped upside down when they're voted as the titular biggest flirts for their yearbook's superlatives. While that may make the story sound all light and fluffy, there's a surprising degree of depth to this character-driven novel. Echols did a wonderful job of establishing the chemistry and overall 'flirtiness' between the main characters, and I really loved Tia. Overall, a really great read and I can't wait for the next book in the series. | Rating: 4/5


The son / Philipp Meyer [audiobook]
This novel seems to fall into several genres - it is at times a sweeping family saga, a western, and historical. The Son tells the story of three generations of the McCullough family, beginning with Eli, followed by his son, Peter, and great-granddaughter Jeanne. It's the kind of book that has characters that are purposefully difficult to like - and I'll be honest, I'm glad I had the audiobook, because if I was actually reading it I think I'd toss the book on more than one occasions. And yet, this was a book that had such genuinely compelling depictions of life in the late 19th, early 20th centuries that the historian in me just had to push on. Overall, I found this to be a thought-provoking look at a swath of Texas (and U.S.) history - and I'll admit, it had me searching for some non-fiction titles in order to learn more about the mid to late 19th century frontier. | Rating: 4/5

Devil's game / Joanna Wylde
As I've no doubt mentioned before, I'm a sucker for a romance novel about motorcycle clubs. Wylde's series is consistently one of my favourites due to her tight plotting and character voice. Devil's Game tells the story of Em, the daughter of an MC president, and her developing relationship with Liam, a member of a rival faction. One thing I really loved about this book was the depiction of feminism and the agency of Em, the main character - which I realize is a surprising statement for a MC setting (Dear Author had a great discussion on this topic in their review of this title). Overall, I really enjoyed this book - the characters had great chemistry, and the portrayal of Em with agency and power within the relationship was refreshing to see with this particular setting. This series has become a can't-miss for me, and I 'm eagerly anticipating the next title in the series. | Rating: 4/5


YA summer novel
Since you've been gone / Morgan Matson
This YA novels tells the story of Emily, who wakes up one day to find that her best friend has left without a word - she doesn't leave any indication as to where she's gone, and isn't responding to texts, phone calls, or emails. While this sounds like the beginning of a missing-person mystery, this book actually explores themes of breaking out of one's shell and general adventuring. I really liked the main character - Emily was an excellent representation of the shy, socially awkward type, and her transformation throughout the story was something I actively rooted for. While Emily's characterization was enjoyable, other characters felt a little less three-dimensional - though not really to the point of being a detriment to the story. In all, this was a light, quick read that I thoroughly enjoyed. And yes, I'll have to check out Emily and Frank's running mixes one of these days. | Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment